Here is a link to the lady who's blog I got all the instructions from: Karen - Tarmac Technique, I just wish she lived nearer because I would just love to attend her workshops.
I started with a canvas and stuck on a variety of cut out shapes from my odds and ends box (this is fabulous for using all those things you have cut out but ended up not using. I added some pieces of card I had embossed for texture and some candi which had been damaged so would be no good for cards etc. I also used some old flowers that I should have really thrown away years ago but kept...just in case.
Then I painted it all with acrylic paint (cerulean blue hue). This needs to be completely dry before moving to the next step. Here is what it looked like at this point:
It looks terrible!! Next step was the Bitumen solution (50% Bitumen and 50% white spirit). Now Karen's blog says this is the messy bit and boy it is. Even though I laid out newspaper I still managed to get this solution splattered all up the wall, over my computer, the mouse, my desk and I probably had more on my hands than on the canvas. Here is what it looks like after this bit:
I left this for a couple of days to dry properly. Next you take a soft cloth and white spirits and dab away at the canvas which removes the Bitumen solution. However, it leaves a kind of metallic sheen behind and some very interesting shadows. However, when I attempt this again I will wear some rubber gloves because my hands just got covered with the solution.
Here is the what it looks like now. I am leaving it for a few days and may go back and take a little more of the solution off but overall I am quite happy with the results and thinks this will look fabulous with a black frame.
Hope you like it and thanks for popping over - have a great weekend x